Re: Zippier outliner development environment?

   I am using a 143Mhz UltraSparc with 64M ram, although
   my X server is running on a Win95 system via 10Mbps Ethernet.
   (Its not the best, but I don't think it's the slowdown here)
   (Actually, today I just upgraded to 128M ram, so that may help)

What's the CPU in the PC?  My guess is that the performance is limited
by the PC display rate in this case.  We generally find Self on an
Ultra very good.  64Mb should be plenty, unless you have upped the
code cache size or have a huge snapshot.  If you have another PC
available, you could try opening another window on the Self world
there too.  If it runs at half the speed, then it's limited by the
Self process.  If it doesn't slow down at all, or not by much, it's
limited by the PC.

   I also tried to bring up the ui1 Snapshot, ie:
   $ ./Snapshot.ui1
       Welcome to the Self...
   "Self 2"

The magic incantation is "ui start".  However, the facilites are very
spartan; nobody really used this UI for serious development.
Beautiful animation, though.  Marvellous plumage ;-).

Mario