copy-down slots

I'm doing a comparison of different languages' support for inheriting
instance variables, overriding methods with instance variables, and vice
versa.  Self's computational core doesn't do "inheritance" of slots, but
instead shares them using a delegation-like mechanism.  But the Self environment
does support some notion of copy-down slots, right?  Where can I find out the
exact semantics of copy-down?  Is there a standard set of rules for what
happens if a method slot overrides a copy-down data slot?  Or is this just up
to the programmer when they set up their module annotations?

Thanks for the info.

-- Craig Chambers