Re: Notation for delegation in OMT or BOOCH

Reto Kramer <100073.1040@compuserve.com> wrote:

  > Delegation is very important for us because:
  > a) we only have single inheritance due to Smalltalk and thus

Why are classes and instances so important to you?

If you don't use Smalltalk just because you were requested to or
because SELF isn't yet a fully supported commercial product
then I'd like to hear more about the reasons (modeling problems of
your application domain as well as specific technical problems) for
needing both, classes/instances AND delegation.

The motivation for needing both and the workaround / simulation invented
in order to make it possible are interesting to me, because I am working
on an integrated model of OO that allows e.g. joint use of instantiation
and delegation (without the need for any simulation).

e.g. A = Point new.   B = Point new.
     A x: ...     .   B x: ...     .
     A y: ...     .   B delegate_to: A.

     makes two Point objects that cannot mutate to sth. else, but
     that can use delegation to express that they allways have to
     be vertically aligned.

Everyone who has an oppinion on the pros and cons of an integrated
model is invited to respond too.

Günter Kniesel
Institut fur Informatik III                 e-mail: gk@cs.uni-bonn.de
Universität Bonn
Römerstr. 164                               Phone:  (+49-228) 550-276
D-53117 Bonn
Germany                                     Fax:    (+49-228) 550-382