using glue in Self 3.0

This message applies to all those who are interested in using "glue"
in Self to connect Self to external libararies or systems.

It turns out that the release files are partitioned in such a way that
you cannot use glue without also installing the optional VM source
package -- this was a mistake on our part, for which I apologize
unreservedly.

If you don't want to install the VM sources, I have placed just the
required files into a separate package.  Install this, and you should
be able to use glue (eg, to build the serverDemo example).

The file is self.stanford.edu:/pub/Self-3.0/patches/patch1.tar.gz, and
mushroom.cs.man.ac.uk:/pub/self/3.0/patches/patch1.tar.gz.
Copy this to your Self working tree (so that the sun4, svr4 and
applications directories are subdirectories of the current directory),
then unpack with the command
	gzip -d <patch1.tar.gz | tar xfv -
This should give you a new version of
applications/serverDemo/server.self, a bunch of Makefile templates,
and two directories, {sun4,svr4}/generated/incls, containing header
files you need to build the demo.

Typing "make" in the serverDemo directory should build "toself" and
"socks.so".

-Mario

Sun Microsystems Labs., Inc., 2550 Garcia Ave, M/S MTV 29-116, Mountain View,
CA 94043, U.S.A.   tel: 415 336 6022, fax: 415 969 7269.