Re: Teaching SELF

   I am planning to use Self in the practical part of an introductory
   course on OOP.
   Who has experience in teaching Self and can provide me with related
   tips and/or material for such a course? What is the difference to
   teaching class-based languages?

Gunter,

Your message comes at an ideal time -- the Self group are currently
putting together some ideas and projects to encourage the use of Self
in the initial teaching of OOP.

We would be delighted to include you, and anyone else considering
using Self for teaching, in our plans and discussions.  To get the
ball moving, perhaps you could get in touch with me by email, so that
we can find out more about our respective plans?  I'm replying to the
whole list; anyone with similar plans is encouraged to mail me.

If there is sufficient interest, we may consider running a workshop or
BOF on the teaching of Self at OOPSLA (or ECOOP, too, I suppose) --
anyone who would consider attending such an event, please mail me.

-Mario Wolczko

Sun Microsystems Labs., Inc., 2550 Garcia Ave, M/S MTV 29-116, Mountain View,
CA 94043, U.S.A.   tel: 415 336 6022, fax: 415 969 7269.