Where to use SELF - your opinion

A chance to contribute something possibly useful to this list! The
ratio of C++ to SELF code I've written is about 1000:1...

You might be amused by this (lightly edited) note I once jotted down
about why C++ code is typically faster than smalltalk etc.
Not exhaustive or authoritative. The general theme is about how
C++ is built so as to (nearly) require certain optimizations,
counter-optimizations, and safety sacrifices by programmers.

-Doug

----

* Embedding

    In C++, objects are laid out as records containing subobjects
    (including embedded superclass objects), not pointers to other
    objects, unless explicitly indicated otherwise.

    Advantages:

        * Fewer run-time allocations (Space for the object
            is allocated all at once. Space for other internal
            objects that cannot be embedded (but are explicitly
            pointed to) must be manually allocated within constructor code.)
        * Less run-time pointer-chasing. Embedded objects are
            accessed via offsets from the base address of the object.
            Can be (and is) done in a way so that the offsets in
            subclass objects are the same as in their superclasses.
        * Since class membership of embedded objects cannot ever
            change, more method -> code mappings may be resolved at
            compile time. Not that C++ compilers actually do much of
            this except in...
        * Extreme cases: Builtin classes like `int' have their
            representations and implementations irrevocably tied to their
            interfaces, so are always embedded.

    Disadvantages:

        * Programmers often forget to allocate non-embedded objects,
            or incorrectly allocate them.
        * Embedded objects cannot be switched at run-time,
            eliminating many delegation-style design idioms.
            This also leads to `chopped copy' errors in those
            cases where programmers forget that assignment
            operations generate partial copies of subclass objects
            rather than the pointer rebindings they probably had in mind.
        * The exact (maximal) class membership of all embedded objects must be
            specified at class-declaration-time. This eliminates
            the ability for subclasses to contain embedded
            objects that are subclasses of those in the original
            declarations, hence detracting from extensibility.
        * It takes enough extra work to create new classes with the
            same interfaces as builtins but with different
            implementations that programmers hardly ever do it.
            (Actually, it's worse: you cannot quite exactly duplicate
            interfaces of builtins.)  This leads to less safe code,
            for example, when multi-precision arith is only sometimes
            required.
        * Embedding + the ability to obtain and export the address
           of embedded objects + pointer arithmetic + casts +
            destructors makes GC impossible(?)
        * Allocation and access strategies for embedded superclass
            objects under multiple inheritance are arcane, error
            prone, and the source of many C++ compiler bugs.

    Variants

        * Arrays in C/C++ are defined as consecutively allocated
            collections of embedded objects. This enables
            fast pointer arithmetic for sequential and random access
            but does not mesh AT ALL with the notion of subclassing.
            This leads to mandated(!) code generation errors;
            e.g., arrays of subclass objects of different size as
            nominally specified classes are incorrectly addressed
            in many situations.

* Stack allocation

    `Local', `direct' objects are stack-allocated at run time.
    This is also a kind of embedding, but in a different sense.

    Advantages:

        * Stack frame allocation is usually faster than heap allocation.
        * Stack frame deallocation is always faster than first-generation
            heap scavenging.

    Disadvantages:

        * Programmers must decide when to stack-allocate. They
            often decide wrong, creating dangling pointers.
        * Only objects whose exact class is known at program-time
            may be stack allocated. Programmers sometimes hopelessly mangle
            their designs in order to allow this.
        * Distinctions between stack-allocated and heap-allocated
            objects permeate the language (roughly, `direct' versus
            pointed-to objects), adding to complexity and detracting
            from usability and understandability.

* Manual deallocation

    Heap-allocated objects must be manually deallocated.

    Advantages:

        * Deleting objects as soon as they are not needed is
            sometimes faster and less space-consumptive than GC.

    Disadvantages:

        * The fact that an object is unreferenceable is often not
            locally decidable by any object or at any program-point.
            Lots of errors.
        * Some C++ constructs automatically generate objects
            (mainly expression temporaries) that compilers themselves
            cannot know when to deallocate. Without GC, the
            language is forced to prescribe patently unsafe deallocation
            rules. Lots more errors.
        * The C++ construct (destructors) that triggers most
            deallocation may be abused so as to perform actions
            unrelated to resource management.  More errors, usually
            springing from rules about how destructors are supposed
            to cascade up through superclasses.
        * Exception handling, concurrency, GC, and distribution are all
            horribly complicated by the presence of destructors.
        * Often enough, manual deallocation is a COUNTER-optimization;
            GC would be faster and sometimes even less space-consumptive.

* Vtbls/Vptrs

    C++ enables (mandates?) a particular dispatching scheme:

        -- Each object contains a pointer (vptr) to a vector (vtbl) of
            function pointers to the implementation code shared by all
            objects of its class. The vector is laid out so that the
            same function ptr lies at the same offset in the vtbls for
            all subclasses of a class.

        -- Each message type is mapped to a vtbl offset at compile
            time. At run time, the call is made via an offset indirect
            invocation.

    Advantages:

        * This is faster than some other schemes.
        * The requirement that offsets be known at compile time
            requires the degree of type-checking enforced by C++.
            Generally, programmers may only invoke a method on an
            object if it is trivially decidable that the recipient
            actually implements it.
        * There is no need for a run-time system that represents
            class and method characteristics in order to support
            run-time method->code mappings and queries. (This
            is less true if/when C++ compilers support exceptions
            and run-time type queries.)
        * This scheme is among the few that are compatible with
            separate compilation, which is mandated(?) in C++.

    Disadvantages:

        * This is not always faster than other schemes, especially
            under multiple inheritance. With MI, a second level of
            indirection must sometimes be employed, and always be
            tested for.
        * Vtbl-oriented C++ rules make it difficult to build compilers
            that employ faster strategies in those cases where they
            are possible. For example, there is no way for programmers
            to declare that a class is necessarily a `leaf' class,
            whose methods are all statically determinable (and thus
            may be directly called, inlined, or procedurally
            integrated).
        * Because C++ mandates that method->offset maps be statically
            computable, the language introduces casts by which
            programmers assert that an object has a narrower type than
            trivially determinable from declared type information.
            Programmers sometimes get this wrong, leading to less
            safe code than possible in languages like smalltalk and
            SELF where the run-time system always correctly performs
            similar mappings.
        * Similarly, there is sometimes no simple way to express the
            notion `if this object supports method m, then call it'.
        * Vtbl-oriented rules do not generalize to multimethods.
            All multimethods are only statically resolved based on
            nominal type information. This leads to errors in the
            common case where the static best match is not the same as
            the dynamic best match. More often, it leads to design errors in
            which programmers attempt to employ single-dispatching
            when they ought to be using multimethods.
        * Similarly, top-level operations are only statically resolved
            in accord with very messy rules (the infamous ARM section
            13.2). More errors. It also leads to programmers defining
            irrelevant one-argument operations as methods in classes
            simply in order to have them dispatch right.
        * Since vtbls are shared by all objects of a class,
            individual objects cannot dynamically change
            method implementations in a simple way. All strategies
            for evading this are error-prone and/or unsafe.
        * The C++ type system appears to be more centered around
            static mapping considerations than true type safety.  For
            example, covariant return types, contravariant arguments,
            closest-match multimethod, top-level, and class-wide
            (`static member function') operation dispatch, and other
            conformance-based policies would be more safe than current
            rules allow.

* Templates

    With parameterized types, related classes (and functions) may
    share source code that is expanded in context rather than
    shared and invoked.

    Advantages:

        * Expansion often allows easier and better contextual
            optimization.
        * Expansion enables object embeddings (as above) that would not
            possible otherwise, so saves indirection.
        * The associated type mechanisms improve both expressiveness
            and static safety.
            Expressiveness: Since C++ has no root class, it is
                otherwise impossible to declare, e.g., a `ListOfAnything'.
                (Although cheating via `void*' is semi-officially sanctioned.)
            Safety: Or rather, more convenient safety. For example, if
                a client needs a ListOfBorderedWindow rather than a
                ListOfWindow in order to be sure it can recolor the
                borders of all elements, it is easy to declare both
                kinds of classes as instantiations of ListOF<T>. These
                share source code even though they do not bear a
                subclass relation to each other.  If programmers had
                to redeclare each kind from scratch, they wouldn't.

    Disadvantages:
        * Expansion is normally, but not always always better. It
            generates bigger executables, which may run more slowly
            because of cache misses, etc.  There is no easy way for
            programmers to specify that two classes bear a
            parameterized class relation to each other but should
            share exectutable code. It would be extremely hard for
            compilers to discover this on their own. This is exactly
            the opposite problem as mentioned above, where you'd like
            compilers to special-case expand/customize leaf class
            mechanics, etc.
        * As above, C++ PT rules appear more centered around
            guarantees about expansion than safety.

* Morals

    Embedding, stack allocation, manual deallocation, vtbl dispatching
    and template-based expansion are all (sometimes) OPTIMIZATIONS that C++
    pretty much forces upon programmers.

    In better languages, these things would at best be `pragmas', and
    mostly performed by a compiler in those cases where the overall
    design allowed it, and in which they are expected to in fact be
    optimizations rather than pessimizations.  This would be pretty
    hard. But as shown by some of the work on the SELF compiler, many
    of these, plus others, are not at all outside the realm of
    technical feasibility.

    Given the lack of a better language, C++ programmers may still
    design programs in ways that completely ignore these (mis)features
    (e.g., use no embedded objects, no direct locals, use generators
    instead of constructors, assume `smart pointers' enabling GC, use
    conformance-based interface design, etc.)  and then perform those
    necessary or desired optimizations and other (non-optimizing)
    transformations from there. Good tools and `design languages'
    would help a lot.

 4-Nov-92 19:17:51-GMT,1374;000000000000