Re: Persistence and Transactions

>> > Are there plans for providing object persistence and transactions?
>> > Snapshots are very limited in that the entire environment is saved.
>> > In order to be able to provide applications that have saveable state,
>> > are reliable, and that support multiple-user sharing of
>> > objects, persistence and transaction management should be an integral
>> > part of the Self environment.
>>
>> Nothing concrete, I'm afraid. We mull it over from time to time.
>> Why?
>>
>> Dave
>>

>Our company is doing object persistence and transactions for our system and
>I thought it would be nice to have a language that supports it more directly
>than the kludge-arounds that have to be done for C/C++.

 In addition, I have been considering using SELF as the main programming
language for a transactional based persistent distributed object store which I
have been working on for some time. SELF appears to offer an efficient
type of language which makes its choice as a standard language attractive.
However, its lack of key features, such as transaction control, locking,
distribution, and persistence, means that I will have to fudge the language
semantics. Mind you, considering the complexity of SELF, the first version
of this is liable to be a cut-down version of the language (microSELF?).
Maybe I could use uPSELF (persistent)? In fact, I will go and write that one
down :-).

I have to agree that the other languages I have looked at (C/C++, Ada, etc)
would require similar semantic distortions to allow programming of my
store, but SELF has the advantage of being clean, new, and object-oriented
(truelly). Tasking would be nice though....

 Gordon

|  Gordon Russell                |  EMAIL     : gor@cs.strath.ac.uk          |
|  L13.13a, Livingstone Tower,   |  TELEPHONE : 041-552-4400   Ex 3703       |
|  University Of Strathclyde,    |  FAX       : 041-552-0775                 |
|  Glasgow, G1 1XH               | Spelling mistakes within this document are|
|  Scotland, UK                  | caused by internet compaction algorithms. |