Self Size

Why does Self require so much memory?

Also, I have a SPARCstation 1+ w/40 meg. of ram...

The Self UI runs somewhat slowly.  The performance benchmarks quoted in the
various Self documents would make me think the UI would be quite snappy.

Why isn't it?

I really like what I have seen so far.  I cannot think of another language
with as much power and flexibility (I just wish it was a little smaller and
faster).

One more question...

I am a fan of Scheme and its functional syntax.  Could a functional "front
end" be written for Self?   Not necessarily Scheme compatible, just "lisp-ish".

Thanks, Dick