Corruption of prototypes

I've run into this too (the sunshine prerelease X stuff does this to
dictionary - you have been warned :-)

I suppose I am in favour of automagically copying prototypes - for one
thing, currently Self tends to be a bit inconsistent in object
creation protocols and I think a rationalisation would help.

I would prefer basic prototype slots to return a copy of the
prototype, and I'd hold the prototype in a nonparent slot of the
traits object.  (What's more, with a nasty undefinedSelector catch on
lobby prototypes the name space can collapse quite nicely, and you
don't need lots of silly prototype copy messages).

james

R James Noble, Graduate Student, Computer Science Department
Victoria University, Box 600, Wellington 1, New Zealand
kjx@comp.vuw.ac.nz